Telensa is a leading company in technology for the Internet of Things and Smart Cities. We have more smart city devices globally, than any other company. Our products are enabling cities from Atlanta, Georgia to Wellington, NZ to significantly lower their carbon footprint and improve the lives of citizens.
Building on our #1 smart city position, we are developing a new line of products that will revolutionise the outdoor environment. By using Big Data and Artificial Intelligence we are enabling new ways for cities, enterprises and consumers to interact.
We are calling this vision The Urban Data Project and we are working with some of the Internet industry’s largest players to grow a global eco-system of data market place participants and application developers. As such the Urban Data Project is much more than a project within one company.
This new approach to the urban environment opens up opportunities in many domains from city services, to financial services, transport and leisure. At a technology level there is convergence between urban data collection, intelligent transport and cellular small cells which offers even more untapped potential.
Purpose & Scope
The rich set of opportunities highlighted above needs a catalyst to realise its full potential. The role described here will be a key member of Telensa’s new Urban Data management team and will be tasked with helping to grow the necessary eco-systems and partners to realise the potential of these new markets.
The role includes the identification and segmentation of new business domains and associated partner and customer types that contribute to Telensa’s strategic vision. This will be followed by the development of an engagement strategy and then overall responsibility to help these new business domains grow.
The role is the main commercial contact point with key partners and so the successful candidate will work closely with the relevant technical leads in Telensa and commercial leads in the partners to ensure that all parties realise their goals out of the relationship.
As well as creating successful partnerships with individual companies we envisage the need for a set of industry forum activities to help promote the urban data vision. The successful candidate will be strongly engaged with how these wider engagements evolve and if appropriate will contribute to creating industry wide initiatives.
Finally, the successful candidate will support the existing Telensa sales team in describing the Urban Data proposition to potential customers.
The job role:
• Identify industry/application domains that have significant commercial opportunities enabled by the Urban Data Project eco-system.
• Identify suitable partners that will contribute to realising the potential of these domains.
• Work with the internal teams and external partners to grow business in the new application domains.
• Manage the relationship with key strategic partners and act as their champion within Telensa.
• Contribute to the development of new strategic areas that complement the Urban Data Project vision
• If applicable, develop a partner eco-system or forum with customers and/or developers.
• Communicate skilfully and develop strong, multi- dimensional relationships at all levels, internally and externally.
• Manage new partner agreements, from negotiating scope to supporting the legal team in execution of agreement/contracts.
• As the Urban Data Project moves into the sales phase, work with the sale steam to develop sales channel partners and associated processes.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
• Typically 7 years’ experience in a technology setting.
• Typically 3 years’ business development experience.
• Experience of managing strategic partners.
• Proven track record of negotiating complex commercial deals with partners.
• Experience of owning and managing complex, technology systems and deals through partner channels.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills, with a natural inclination towards relationship-building.
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills; can simplify complex topics into clear and impactful summaries and presentations.
• Comfortable structuring and driving analysis to identify, prioritise, and solve business problems.
• Strong detail and process orientation – can manage competing priorities and collaborate with stakeholders in different departments.
• Educated to degree level.
• Direct experience of setting up a partner programme and ongoing management.
• Previous work experience in a data-oriented company.
• Previous work experience in a SaaS/PaaS company.
• Previous work experience for a US company.