Telensa is a leading company in technology for the Internet of Things and Smart Cities, and we have recently received two Queen’s Awards, for innovation and exports. We have more Smart City devices globally than any other company. Our products are enabling cities from Atlanta, USA to Wellington, New Zealand to significantly lower their carbon footprint and improve the lives of citizens.
Building on our #1 Smart City position, we are developing a new line of products that will revolutionise the outdoor environment. By using Big Data and Artificial Intelligence we are enabling new ways for cities, enterprises and consumers to interact.
We are calling this vision The Urban Data Project and we are working with some of the Internet industry’s largest players to grow a global eco-system of data marketplace participants and application developers. As such the Urban Data Project is much more than a project within one company.
This new approach to the urban environment opens opportunities in many domains; city services, financial services, transport and leisure. At a technology level there is convergence between urban data collection, intelligent transport and 5G cellular small cells, which offers even more untapped potential.
Purpose & Scope
We are increasing the size of our hardware team to support the new product developments for our increasing focus on data generation and analysis. This will involve the development of edge-processing and advanced sensor integrations on our new range of devices.
The role has the following main functions:
• Create, improve, and maintain hardware system requirements and architecture specifications for our products
• Create design validation tests and communicate expectations to ODM and outsourced design partners.
• Some laboratory checking hardware functions and performance.
• Manage hardware developments through to delivery to manufacture, normally through outsourced development.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
• Typically, a degree in an electronics related subject (or equivalent experience)
• Typically, 7 years relevant experience, ideally including smaller companies
• Demonstrable experience of delivering products to the market using in-house or outsourced business models
• Wide technical skills to enable the specification of hardware products to a level suitable for sub-contracting, including processors, peripherals, wireless, sensors, mechanics, regulatory, environmental, some appreciation of software requirements and mass production issues
• Ability to develop and maintain formal technical specifications at requirement architecture, design and test levels.
• Hands on Hardware system verification experience
• Personal attributes:
o Passionate about engineering and delivering solutions to our customers
o Positive, can-do attitude
o Clear communicator
• Project leadership experience, including collaboration and negotiation with suppliers
• Track record of generating innovative ideas and seeing them through to completion
• Ability to learn new technologies quickly to react to changing demands
• Understanding of mechanical enclosure design techniques
• Understanding of design for external environment
• Having worked with ODMs to deliver products to the market.