Telensa is the leading provider of Street Lighting Remote Control and Monitoring systems. Our system uses Ultra Narrow Band (UNB) radio communications and cellular radio to link street lights back to a central database and web server in order to allow street lighting to be managed in a sophisticated and energy efficient way. Other applications for Telensa’s UNB and control technology are underway as the demand for Smart City/Internet of Things solutions increases.
With our continued global success in Lighting Control and our plans to add new Smart City/Internet of Things (IoT) applications we need to recruit a Software Engineer.
You will join a talented team based in our offices in the Cambridge area, working in a friendly but fast paced and responsive environment in an established company with a very strong track record of delivery. We’re looking for professionals capable of building high quality products in line with industry best practice.
Purpose & Scope
We’re expanding our network application software team to enable continued improvement of our industry leading PLANet street light control application and to expand into new applications for Telensa’s evolving low power wide area radio network technology. This is a chance to join an expanding and profitable company at the cutting edge of commercial smart city and other wide area Internet of Things applications. You will join an existing team, working on our flagship lighting project and other Smart City applications. As part of the development team you will work on front end Android applications and back end software.
The job role:
• Development of user interface software for the above on a mobile device (Android)
• Development of back-end application software for street light and other smart city central management systems in Java
• Implementing RESTful API servers and consumers to integrate our platform with other data providers/consumers
• Helping to evolve our platform using techniques such as microservices
• Design of databases and implementation of these designs with an emphasis on performance
• Functional and unit test of software developed by you and others
• Learning new technologies relevant to the projects
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
• 2.1 degree in a numerate / computer science related subject (or equivalent experience)
• Mobile application development on the Android platform
• Server-side software development in a commercial context using languages such as Java
• Software testing: unit, functional, regression, acceptance
• Experience of database development
• Ability to learn new technologies quickly to react to changing demands
• Experience of debugging and maintaining code written by others
• Working in an Agile/SCRUM environment
In return we can offer a competitive package and an environment that will stimulate and challenge you to be at your best. This is an ideal opportunity to get involved with some interesting new products and technologies at an exciting time in Telensa’s development.