Telensa is the leading provider of Street Lighting Remote Control and Monitoring systems. Our system uses Ultra Narrow Band (UNB) radio communications and cellular radio to link street lights back to a central database and web server in order to allow street lighting to be managed in a sophisticated and energy efficient way. Other applications for Telensa’s UNB and control technology are underway as the demand for Smart City/Internet of Things solutions increases.
With our continued global success in Lighting Control and our plans to add new Smart City/Internet of Things (IoT) applications we need to recruit a Software Engineer.
You will join a talented team based in our offices in the Cambridge area, working in a friendly but fast paced and responsive environment in an established company with a very strong track record of delivery. We’re looking for professionals capable of building high quality products in line with industry best practice.
Purpose & Scope
We’re expanding our central systems software team to enable continued improvement of our industry leading PLANet street light control application and to expand into new applications for Telensa’s evolving low power wide area radio network technology. This is a chance to join an expanding and profitable company at the cutting edge of commercial smart city and other wide area Internet of Things applications.
The job role:
• Working in an existing team to implement industry standard lighting and smart city integration RESTful APIs
• Development of microservice-based back-end application software for street light and other smart city central management systems in Java/Go
• Design of databases and implementation of these designs with an emphasis on performance
• Functional and unit test of software developed by you and others
• Code review of software developed by you and others
• Deliver software to agreed time and quality targets in an Agile manner
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
• 2.1 degree in a numerate / computer science related subject (or equivalent experience)
• Commercial software development using Java and frameworks such as Spring
• Development of REST APIs
• Familiarity with modern application architecture and development practices
• Software testing: unit, functional, regression, acceptance
• Experience of database development
• Microservice architecture experience
• Devops experience (Docker/Kubernetes/Ansible)
• Messaging queue experience (Kafka, ZeroMQ, RabbitMQ)
• Modern Android applications development
• Ability to learn new technologies quickly to react to changing demands
• Experience of debugging and maintaining code written by others
In return we can offer a competitive package and an environment that will stimulate and challenge you to be at your best. This is an ideal opportunity to get involved with some interesting new products and technologies at an exciting time in Telensa’s development.