Telensa is the leading provider of Street Lighting Remote Control and Monitoring systems. Our system uses Ultra Narrow Band (UNB) radio communications and cellular radio to link street lights back to a central database and web server in order to allow street lighting to be managed in a sophisticated and energy efficient way. Other applications for Telensa’s UNB and control technology are underway as the demand for Smart City/Internet of Things solutions increases.
With our continued global success in Lighting Control and our plans to add new Smart City/Internet of Things (IoT) applications we need to recruit a Software Engineer.
You will join a talented team based in our offices in the Cambridge area, working in a friendly but fast paced and responsive environment in an established company with a very strong track record of delivery. We’re looking for professionals capable of building high quality products in line with industry best practice.
Purpose & Scope
We’re expanding our network application software team to enable continued improvement of our industry leading PLANet street light control application and to expand into new applications for Telensa’s evolving low power wide area radio network technology. This is a chance to join an expanding and profitable company at the cutting edge of commercial smart city and other wide area Internet of Things applications. You will join an existing team, working on our flagship lighting project and other Smart City applications. As part of the development team you will work on front end Android applications and back end software.
The job role:
- Development of back-end application software for street lighting and other smart city central management systems in Java using Spring Boot Framework and PHP
- Development of RESTful APIs
- Development of SQL databases with an emphasis on performance
- Functional and unit test of software developed by you and others
- Code review of software developed by you and others
- Learning new technologies relevant to the projects
- Helping to evolve our platform using techniques such as microservices
- Deliver software to agreed time and quality targets whilst working in Agile/SCRUM
Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- 2.1 degree in a numerate / computer science related subject (or equivalent experience)
- Server-side software development in a commercial context using Java
- Typically 3+ years commercial software development using Java and frameworks such as Spring
- Experience with modern application architecture and development practices
- Experience of database development, including Procedural SQL
- Experience of REST API development and testing
- Ability and desire to learn new technologies quickly to react to changing demands
- Knowledge of PHP
- Microservice architecture experience
- Experience of developing for a DevOps environment (Docker/Kubernetes/Ansible)
- Messaging queue experience (Kafka, ZeroMQ, RabbitMQ)
- Current experience with JUnit or similar unit testing framework
- Software testing expertise: unit, functional, regression, acceptance
- Experience of debugging and maintaining code written by others
- Mobile application development on the Android platform
- Working in an Agile/SCRUM environment
In return we can offer a competitive package and an environment that will stimulate and challenge you to be at your best. This is an ideal opportunity to get involved with some interesting new products and technologies at an exciting time in Telensa’s development.